I really love to cook and I’m not going to lie, finding a good recipe really excites me. With cooking more and more I have new found confidence to add and change recipes as I go along, that however, is where my cooking recklessness ends. The relief from my husband was palpable when my experimentation period of ‘I’ll throw together whatever we have in the fridge/cupboard’ period ended and my love of recipes and also planning ahead began.
Luckily my lovely friend Claire O’Driscoll is anything but a catastrophe when it comes to putting recipes together. If you follow her Facebook and Instagram feeds then you will know what I mean – this woman seriously knows flavour combinations and how to achieve healthy family eating.
I am so happy that Claire has allowed me to share some of her delicious recipes with you in what will hopefully become a regular feature (pretty please Claire).
This is one of my favourites from Claire’s recipe collection and is so quick and easy to throw together. As Claire says “A hearty wholesome feed with proper punchy flavours”.
Spicy prawn spaghetti – Serves 2
- Half a red onion, thinly sliced
- A small bulb of fennel, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Half or one sliced red (or green) chilli with seeds removed
- 1tsp of capers in olive oil
- 1x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 200ml fish stock
- Glug of white wine (optional)
- 1 heaped tsp smoked paprika
- A couple of sprigs of fresh thyme (or dried will do)
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 225g Dried spaghetti *Can switch up for courgetti*
- Pan fry the onion, fennel, garlic, chilli and capers until the fennel softens and the onions start to caramelise.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, fish stock, white wine, smoked paprika, fresh thyme and fresh lemon juice.
- Reduce for 5-10 mins and add prawns in to heat through. At the same time get your spaghetti cooking.
- Now mix in your cooked spaghetti and toss it all together, put some peppery rocket on the side and grind on black pepper – and parmesan if you like.
Fresh, healthy, wholesome feast!!
Follow me on Facebook!